NEAN 2015 in Review
How NEAN came to be…
Energy prices can be npredictable, severely affecting the safety and stability of thousands of families across the State of Nebraska.
Federal funding (LIHEAP) to help low income families and individuals has been declining in recent years.
Nebraska utilities support and promote the efforts of the LIHEAP program. Several utilities also sponsor financial assistance programs funded by generous donations from their customers to help those who do not qualify for LIHEAP dollars.
However, these programs and other charitable programs do not have sufficient financial resources to meet the increased need. Nebraska Energy Assistance Network (NEAN), a partnership of utilities, governmental agencies, regulators and community leaders came together to address these issues. Their focus is to bring additional attention and support for increased charitable giving and the need that exists within the State of Nebraska.
In the fall of 2005, discussions were initiated about increasing awareness of energy assistance programs and conducting fundraising and awareness campaigns. These discussions resulted in the partnership of utilities and human service agencies which conducted six public forums at area senior citizen centers; and
Whereas follow-up discussions among participants revealed the desire to formalize discussions into a Committee formation;
Whereas additional utilities, human service agencies and governmental entities indicated an interest in participating;
Therefore, the Nebraska Energy Assistance Network was created. Its mission is:
To assist Nebraskans with their energy needs through education, advocacy and partnerships.
The Mission of the Nebraska Energy Assistance Network is to assist Nebraskans meet energy needs through education, collaboration and advocacy.
The Values of the Nebraska Energy Assistance Network are…Educated…Access…Energy Efficiency
- Nebraskans are educated about the energy needs and resources in Nebraska.
- Nebraskans are able to access funds to provide for basic energy needs.
- Nebraskans practice energy efficiency
- Nebraskans are educated to accomplish energy efficiency.
- Nebraskans are assisted in meeting basic energy needs through strengthening and promoting funding streams.
- Nebraskans needing energy assistance and efficiency resources are consistently linked with the financial and material resources to meet those needs.
- Nebraskans have a voice in identifying and addressing energy efficiency needs.
To achieve our goals, the Network will…
- Create interest and action in assisting with the energy needs of Nebraskans through collaboration.
- Provide a clearinghouse of resources for financial assistance and energy conservation expertise in the state
- Simplify access to energy assistance programs through creating uniformity and/or efficiency